From Joy of Baking.com
- 1/2 cup (1 Stick) (113 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated white sugar
- 1/3 cup (30 grams) unsweetened cocoa (Dutch-process preferred)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups (200 grams) graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup (65 grams) coconut (either sweetened or unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup (50 grams) walnuts or pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup (56 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 – 3 tablespoons milk or cream
- 2 tablespoons vanilla custard powder or vanilla pudding powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups (230 grams) powdered(confectioners or icing) sugar
- 4 ounces (115 grams) semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon (14 grams) unsalted butter
Butter (or use cooking spray) a 9 x 9 inch (23 x 23 cm) pan.
Bottom Layer: In a saucepan over a low heat, melt the butter. Stir in the sugar and cocoa powder and then gradually whisk in the beaten egg. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens (1 – 2 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract, graham cracker crumbs, coconut, and chopped nuts. Press the mixture evenly into the prepared pan. Cover and refrigerate until firm (about an hour).
Filling: In your electric mixer, cream the butter. Beat in the remaining ingredients. If the mixture is too thick to spread, add a little more milk. Spread the filling over the bottom layer, cover, and refrigerate until firm (about 30 minutes).
Top Layer: In a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, melt the chocolate and butter. Spread over the filling and refrigerate.
To Serve: To prevent the chocolate layer from cracking, bring the squares to room temperature before cutting with a sharp knife.
Yield: about 25 squares
Additional notes: I doubled this recipe and used a 9 x 13 inch pan, which made for thicker bars. I processed the graham crackers, coconut and pecans in a food processor before mixing with the butter/cocoa mixture.