Courtesy of Xplicit Sweetness
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3 ounces best-quality semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese, softened
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 ounces best-quality semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 6 tbs whipping cream
- 3 tbs unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter an 8-inch square Pyrex pan.
- Place chopped chocolate in a mixing bowl; set aside. In a small glass bowl, melt butter in microwave (take it out before it starts bubbling.) Pour butter over the chocolate and let stand for 30 seconds. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Sift in sugar and cocoa powder.
- With a wooden spoon, beat in mascarpone, eggs, vanilla, mixing until smooth. Gently fold in flour and salt.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Place into preheated oven and bake 45 to 50 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
- Place pan on a cooling rack and let brownies cool 10 to 15 minutes while you make the ganache.
- Place chopped chocolate in a mixing bowl. In a small saucepan, bring the cream and butter to just below the boiling point, over medium heat. Pour this hot mixture over the chocolate and let stand for 30 seconds, then stir until smooth. Pour ganache over brownies while still warm, and spread to cover evenly.
- Let ganache firm up before cutting. It’s best to refrigerate them until quite firm. Once the ganache is firm and the brownies have been cut, they do not need to be kept in the refrigerator.
Makes about 16 brownies.