This recipe is a compilation of recipes I’ve collected, most from Allrecipes.com, with a recent modification based on a recipe posted on Cooking at the Pacific Outpost (her version is Vegan, by the way).
Makes 6 – 8 Dozen
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Colored Decorator’s Sugar
- Food Coloring (if desired)
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Set aside several ungreased baking sheets.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour and salt, set aside. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 – 4 minutes. Add the egg yolks, almond and vanilla extracts and mix until incorporated. Add the flour and salt and mix until combined.
- If you want to add food coloring, now is the time to do it. Either color the entire batch, or divide into separate batches for separate colors.
- Place the dough into the refrigerator to cool for 10 – 15 minutes. Fill your cookie press with dough. Dispense dough on the baking sheets so cookies are spaced about 1″ apart. Sprinkle with decorator’s sugar.
- Bake for 6 to 9 minutes. The cookies should start to slightly brown around the lower edges. If you prefer a softer cookie, stay at the lower end of the baking times, for a crispier cookie, be sure the cookies have browned around the edges before pulling them out of the oven.
- Let the cookies cool on the pan for 5 minutes, then move to a cooling rack. Store cookies in an airtight container for up to 1 week.